SHOREVIEW, Minn. — We say chick. You say strong. Whether you’re considering a couple chicks or have enjoyed a backyard flock for years, these are two words you’ll be cheering about this spring at local Purina® Flock Talk events, set for February through May nationwide.
As the name implies, these local celebrations will have backyard flock conversations for everyone. Families considering chickens can learn how-to tips and pick up chicks right in the store. Experienced flock raisers can take part in advanced tracks and information deep dives.
“Anyone who loves animals is invited to attend their local Purina® Flock Talk event,” says Katie Signorelli, backyard flock marketing manager with Purina Animal Nutrition. “Our spring chick events have created excitement for years. This year, we renamed our celebration, and added activities for both beginner and experienced flock raisers. We can’t wait for this poultry party, because who doesn’t love talking chickens?”
Here is what you can expect at a local Purina® Flock Talk:
• Expert advice: Local experts will host hands-on workshops and share useful chicken-raising tips for both beginner and experienced flock enthusiasts. Topics include: basics for getting started, raising chickens for eggs, coop tips, creating a feeding program, kids and chickens and much more. Attendees will also receive a free “My first year with chickens” week-by-week flock guide.
• Baby chicks, supplies and feed savings: Many local stores will have baby chicks, ducklings and other birds for families to visit or purchase. Families can order chicks from their local retailer in advance and pick them up during Purina® Flock Talk events. The team will be available to help gather supplies, answer questions and provide Purina® Flock Strong coupon books to help feed your flock as they grow. Some stores may also have chicks to purchase for those unable to preorder.
• Family fun: Attendees can enjoy chicken-themed games and contests. Activities planned may include: crowing contests, egg tosses, chicken fashion shows and in-store scavenger hunts.
• A strong start for chicks: You’ll learn about the 38 nutrients chicks require, which are all included in Purina feeds with the Chick Strong™ System. You’ll pick one complete starter-grower feed for day 1 through week 18 and then one complete layer feed for when the first egg arrives at week 18.
• Nationwide contest: During the Purina® Flock Talk season, a nationwide photo contest will be held on the Purina Poultry Facebook page to find the country’s strongest chick. To enter, simply visit a Purina® Flock Talk event, snap a photo with your new bird/s and enter on Facebook. Entrants will compete to win fun poultry prizes and a year’s supply of chicken feed.
To learn tips for starting a backyard flock, visit www.purinamills.com/chick-strong or connect with other flock raisers on Facebook or Pinterest.
Purina Animal Nutrition LLC (www.purinamills.com) is a national organization serving producers, animal owners and their families through more than 4,700 local cooperatives, independent dealers and other large retailers throughout the United States. Driven to unlock the greatest potential in every animal, the company is an industry-leading innovator offering a valued portfolio of complete feeds, supplements, premixes, ingredients and specialty technologies for the livestock and lifestyle animal markets. Purina Animal Nutrition LLC is headquartered in Shoreview, Minn. and a wholly owned subsidiary of Land O’Lakes, Inc.
–Purina Animal Nutrition LLC