SEDALIA, Mo. — Come Home to the Fair Friday, Aug. 9 for Missouri Department of Conservation Day. Fairgoers will enjoy visiting the Conservation Building for live animal exhibits and demonstrations. Kids can check out all of the great interactive exhibits in the Xplore Zone, open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily, and much more.
The biggest highlight for Missouri Department of Conservation Day is the 75th birthday of Smokey Bear! Smokey Bear has been an iconic figure at the Missouri State Fair for many years and he’s inviting fairgoers to celebrate with him in a big way at the Fair this year. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Friday, Aug. 9, fairgoers can party with Smokey at the VIP Tent with meet and greets, cupcakes and cookies, crafts and other activities. Be sure and stop in and say Happy Birthday to Smokey Bear during your visit to the Fair on Aug. 9.
Lots of other great activities planned for Aug. 9 including:
- Cowboy Mounted Shooting, sponsored by Starline Brass, starting at 8 a.m. in the Mathewson Exhibition Center
- Missouri Cow Chip Throwing State Championship starting at 8 a.m. in the State Fair Arena, sponsored by Husqvarna
- Missouri’s Electric Cooperatives will be collecting school supplies and cash donations for children in need all day in the MEC Building
- Cedar Creek Band performing at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. on the Budweiser Stage
- Homegrown Singer Contest Preliminary Round, sponsored by Bimbo Bakeries, USA, at 4 p.m. on the Budweiser Stage
- A full day of free grounds entertainment like Dan Dan the Farmer Man, sponsored by AOK RVs, strolling the grounds and at his stage show west of the Agriculture Building, and CJ Ryder and PastMasters on the Touchstone Energy Stage
- Livestock shows and competitive exhibit contests like the market barrow show, poultry, beef cattle, lamb, and draft mule shows, swine judging, daylily and lily and African violet shows, dairy products, barbecue contest, and home economics foods contests
- NEW! Military Flag Retreat Ceremony, sponsored by Capital Materials, Starline Brass and Retrieving Freedom, Inc., at 6 p.m. by the flagpole located near the Highway Patrol Office
- MRCA Show-Me State Rodeo at 7 p.m. in the State Fair Arena, sponsored by Husqvarna; tickets available
- The Struts with White Reaper at 7:30 p.m. in the Pepsi Grandstand; tickets available
- Members Only at 9 p.m. on the Budweiser Stage
Visit our website for more information on additional highlights for Missouri Department of Conservation Day, Friday, Aug. 9.
— Missouri State Fair
For more news from Missouri, click here.