UTICA, N.Y. — Spring is here and so are the religious holidays and celebrations and that go along with it.
To enhance the festive ambiance of these gatherings, many people will burn candles, usually on the dining room table or the buffet centerpiece.
Unfortunately, most of these people who burn candles are uninformed about the dangers of burning petroleum-based paraffin (a sludge and waste product from the refining of petroleum) and scented candles which produce highly toxic fumes and soot when burned.
The soot and highly toxic fumes released into by burning paraffin wax are the same as those found in burning diesel fuel.
Poisonous chemicals present in paraffin (and released into the air through burning) include, but are not limited to known carcinogens such as: Acetone, Benzene, Toluene, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol and Cyclopentene.
To learn more about this subject, type “Toxic Fumes Scented Candles” or “Paraffin Candles Toxic” or any combination of similar keywords into the search box of your favorite search engine.
Soy Wax Candles
Many so called 100% soy wax candles contain a small amount of paraffin since standardized labeling of soy candles is not enforced or regulated. This means that any claims of ingredients or benefits, are left up to the discretion of the soy wax maker.
In addition, over 90% of soy beans grown are genetically modified and sprayed with toxic pesticides. So, if you are buying soy candles, more than likely you are supporting the production of GMO’s.
To learn more about this subject, type “Soy vs. Beeswax Candles” or any combination of similar keywords into the search box of your favorite search engine.
The bottom line is: When you burn petroleum-based paraffin wax candles or scented candles, you are filling your home with highly toxic chemicals and fumes.
Many trips to the ER for children with asthma attacks, unexplainable breathing problems or adults with COPD flare-ups may be prevented by not burning petroleum-based paraffin candles or scented candles.
100% Pure Beeswax Candles
Honey and beeswax are gifts from honey bees that have been used by humans since prehistoric times for a multitude of purposes and 100% pure beeswax candles are one of the oldest sources of artificial light.
High quality beeswax candles are made from the melted and filtered caps that seal the honeycomb and the honeycomb itself.
100% pure beeswax candles burn clean and have their own natural honey/floral scent even when not burning. Unlike paraffin candles, they do not contain any additives, synthetic chemicals or leave behind black soot from smoke when they are burned.
Many people claim that burning 100% pure beeswax candles help clean the air; however, there are just as many people who can’t to find any evidence or any explanation as to why beeswax candles would be particularly good at cleaning the air.
So, do some research and make up your own mind; type “Benefits of Beeswax Candles” into the search box of your favorite search engine.
If you are in the market for beeswax candles, it’s always best to do business locally whenever possible so type the words “beeswax candles near me” into the search box of your favorite search engine. Make sure you check their track record because there many unscrupulous vendors on the internet who sell “beeswax candles” and even if they do show up in local listings, they might buy imitation beeswax candles from overseas and resell them.
Or, if you choose to buy beeswax candles online, The Mohawk Valley Trading Company offers beeswax candles that are hand poured, hand dipped and made with 100% cotton wicks and 100% pure, all natural, unbleached, yellow beeswax produced by bees in the USA.
Always be careful when burning any type of candles; they are the 5th leading causes of house fires and account for 3% of all home fire deaths. And with that said, here are some candle burning safety tips:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep burning candles away from pets and children.
- Keep burning candles away from flammable materials.
- Remove paper label from candle before lighting.
- Burn candles only in a draft-free environment away from open windows, fans, air ducts, etc. This will help to prevent any smoking or dripping.
- Light the candle wick from the base of the wick, where the wick comes out of the candle. This allows the beeswax to be absorbed into the wick.
- Keep the wick trimmed to about 1/4″ when burning.
–The Mohawk Valley Trading Company