AMES, Iowa — Iowa Learning Farms (ILF), a conservation-focused education and outreach program for Iowa farmers and landowners based at Iowa State University (ISU) Extension and Outreach, today announced its Beauty of Conservation Photo Contest, scheduled to run from June 22 to July 6. The contest is open to amateur photographers, including youth and 18+ entry groups, with a variety of fun prizes awarded in each group.
“The beauty of conservation is certainly in the eye of the beholder, and we are eager to see what people across Iowa and beyond see when they think about conservation and conservation practices being employed on farms,” said Jacqueline Comito, ILF director. “We encourage entries showing the mechanics of successful practices such as wetlands, cover crops, bioreactors, prairie strips and more. We also hope to see the results of conservation efforts depicted in photos of diverse wildlife populations, healthy natural forests and prairies, and clean waterways.”
Beauty of Conservation Photo Contest Details:
1. Open to all amateur photographers in Iowa and beyond (Youth and 18+ entry groups)
2. Up to three submission per entrant allowed
3. Suggested image subjects:
a. In-field practices, edge-of-field practices
b. Farming with conservation practices
c. Livestock, people, pets
d. Show the beauty that conservation brings
e. Show us what you are doing to help encourage others to do the same
4. High-resolution images preferred – Please do not compress if taken on a smartphone
a. Acceptable file formats for entries – .jpg, .png, .svg
5. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org (Submission closes at 11:59 p.m. CDT July 6, 2020)
a. Provide a title or subject of the photo
b. Indicate if photographer is youth or adult
c. Include name and contact information
6. Entrant retains all rights to the image except for use by ILF. Submission gives ILF permission to post to social media and use with creator credit in future publications.
7. Prize-winning entries will be selected by an ILF judging panel based on aesthetic qualities and depiction of conservation beauty.
a. Best-of-Show prize for 18+ Group: gift card valued at $150.00.
b. Best-of-Show Prize for Youth Group: gift card valued at $75.00.
c. Additional prizes may be awarded at the discretion of the judges.
8. ILF will share entries on its Facebook and Twitter streams
9. People’s Choice voting will be conducted after the close of entries through Facebook and Twitter
This contest is one program ILF is launching to augment its outreach efforts during restricted face-to-face engagements related to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is committed to continuing to meet the needs of farmers and conservationists, which have not abated, operating under a new set of rules.
“We view this contest as an opportunity to see the impact of ILF outreach and education through the eyes and lenses of constituent groups we’ve reached,” continued Comito. “It should be fun to see the creativity contestants apply to capturing conservation in action.”
To learn more about Iowa Learning Farms outreach and education programs, please visit us on the web at www.iowalearningfarms.org.
— Iowa Learning Farms
For more news from Iowa, click here.