What: The Washington State Department of Agriculture Pest Program will be holding an Asian giant hornet field training day. The media is invited to attend all or part of this event. Registration now to attend.
Who: WSDA Pest Program Asian giant hornet program staff
When: Aug. 18, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Pacific
Where: Near Blaine, WA. Exact location TBD. The location will be sent on Aug. 17 to those who register.
What you’ll see: WSDA will hold several trainings and exercises to cross-train staff in responding to Asian giant hornet detections in the state. An agenda is provided below, but the agenda for the day is flexible. An event may occur earlier or later than listed. If you plan to attend just a portion of the day, arrive early in case we are running ahead of schedule.
- 9:00 – 9:30 Welcome, introductions, overview of training
- 9:30 – 10:00 Live trap construction, baiting and placement
- 10:00 – 10:45 Setting ATS receivers/ activating and deactivating radio tag
- 10:45 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 12:00 Capture the tag! WSDA teams try to find hidden tags
- 12:00 – 12:30 Lunch (not provided)
- 12:30 – 1:30 Test PPE, eradication gear, simulate extraction
- 1:30 – 2:00 Trap service demonstration
- 2:00 – 3:00 Media debrief
Time permitting, specific WSDA employees may be available for short (5-10 minute) interviews on a limited basis following the day’s activities. Indicate whom you are interested in interviewing when registering for the event.
How to attend: Registration is required to attend this event and depending on demand, attendance may be limited. You must register by Aug. 16 at 5 p.m. Pacific to attend this event. The exact event location will be emailed to those who have registered on Aug. 17.
For more Washington news, click here.