JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — The application period is now open from Feb. 1 to May 1, 2023, and you can apply through the online application process. A fee of $140 is required to cover processing costs, one certificate, a booklet and one two-sided, 2-foot by 2-foot metal sign for each approved farm (sign includes MU and Missouri Farm Bureau logos). Application deadline is May 1. Late applications cannot be accepted.
The following guidelines are used for the selection and recognition of Missouri Century Farms.
- The same family must have owned the farm for 100 consecutive years or more as of Dec. 31, 2023.
- The line of ownership from the original settler or buyer may be through children, grandchildren, siblings and nephews and nieces, including through marriage or adoption.
- The present farm shall consist of no less than 40 acres of the original land and shall make a financial contribution to the overall farm income.
Information needed: Please have this information ready before you start the online application process. Here are some of the questions that will need to be answered:
- How many acres of the original acquisition are you qualifying as a Century Farm (40 acres minimum)?
- Does this tract contribute toward gross income of the owner(s) (rent counts as income)?
- List the name of the first family member to own the land and that person’s relationship to the current owner(s).
- What documents exist that show original family ownership? MUST include one form of proof which may be deed, wills, land patents, abstract of title, grants, county land records, or other. Use the “Official Proof – Browse” button to select and upload a file.
- Optional attachments: Feel free to include an account of any special events held on the farm, unusual happenings, significant improvements, identifying landmarks, farm usage over the years, interesting information regarding the founder and any subsequent owner(s), and copies of pictures of special interest (include a short description). These materials will be passed on to your local MU Extension office and they may use them at your recognition or pass them along to your county historical society. Use the “Personal Records – Browse” button to select and upload a file.
Apply online here.
For more information, contact the Missouri Century Farms Coordinator at 573-882-7216 or email@example.com. If you need a printable version of the application, please contact the Coordinator.
— Missouri Department of Agriculture