BROOME CO., N.Y. — Join us for Annie’s Project this winter! Annie’s Project is a six week in-person experience designed especially for farm women to help them develop their management and decision-making skills for their farms. Annie’s Project is designed for farm women who have been in farming, or agri-business, or part of the food system for three to five years, and want to develop their understanding, interpretation, and opportunities in sustainable agriculture. Annie’s Project gives farm women the opportunity to learn from female agricultural professionals and network with other women in similar situations.
Annie’s Project provides education in production, price or market, financial, institutional and legal, and human and personal risk. At the end of six weeks, participants will —
- Understand personality types to communicate better with business partners
- Put family living expenses together with other costs of doing business on the farm
- Identify production risks on-farm and prioritize risk management strategies to minimize losses
- Interpret balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow projections to make business decisions
- Review labor laws, requirements, and their implications
- Understand how assets are titled and learn about estate planning tools
- Consider available marketing opportunities
- Understand tools and resources for stress management & farm equipment needs specific to farm women
To encourage more farm women to attend we will be offering a partnership with our Nutrition program and offer a FREE concurrent healthy eating and nutrition series for the children of the farm family. While the farm women are at their educational sessions the youth will be learning about healthy eating and prepare a meal each week to enjoy as a group. This is open to youth ages 8 years old and up. During registration, please advise of any food allergies.
The cost is $50 for the series for the farm woman, and includes a padfolio, copies of all presentations and worksheets, access to financial and legal advice, and support from a variety of community partners. The series will take place on Tuesdays evenings, 6:30-8pm, November 8th-December 13th at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Broome County. We will waive the fee for NYS women veterans interested in getting into agriculture. All others will pay the $50 fee. To register click here: https://reg.cce.cornell.edu/winter2022anniesproject_203. For more information, contact Laura Biasillo at email@example.com.
–Cornell Cooperative Extension of Broome County