FORT WORTH, Texas — Traveling is expected to be nuts as the U.S. nears its most anticipated Thanksgiving of the century. Americans are eager to make it home for the holidays after last year’s gatherings were scaled back due to the pandemic, but as news of more travel woes top headlines each week, one in five (21%) admit they’re worried about flight delays and cancellations, according to a new YouGov survey commissioned by American Pecans.
“As Thanksgiving experts, we know how important it is for loved ones to gather for quality turkey (and pecan) time. There’s a reason it’s the busiest travel week of the year,” said Alex Ott, Executive Director of the American Pecan Council. “While we cannot get your flight out on time, we’re bringing travelers a little taste of home as they await their treasured Thanksgiving meals and moments.”
American Pecans wants to ease the stress related to flight delays and cancellations with the ’Pecanceled’ Flights Set Right campaign. They’re delighting Americans in two delicious ways:
- Partnering with Farmer’s Fridge, a company that operates hundreds of automated smart fridges, to give away free, limited-edition pecan pie snack bites in select airports coast-to-coast for anyone whose flight gets delayed or canceled. This holiday treat is made with pecans, rolled oats, maple syrup and vanilla beans, and is packaged in a portable jar, ideal for travelers.
- Launching the ’Pecanceled’ Flights Set Right Sweepstakes where one unlucky traveler, who misses their Thanksgiving as the result of a ‘pecanceled’ flight, will be the lucky winner of the ‘Pie in the Sky’ grand prize: round-trip, First Class air travel for the next five years to their Thanksgiving destination, a year’s worth of American Pecans, and more.
American Pecans Thanksgiving Survey Findings
In a comprehensive look at America’s Thanksgiving travel plans and traditions, a new YouGov survey1 commissioned by American Pecans cracked open the following:
- Flight Delays and Cancellations Top of Mind for Holiday Travelers This Season
- More than one in five Americans (21%) admit they’re worried about flight delays/cancelations.
- Nearly one in five Americans (19%) plan on taking a flight over the holidays. Of those planning to fly or who have concerns about travel disruptions, their biggest concerns about delays and cancellations are not being able to see family/friends (39%), followed by missing original holidays plans (38%).
- Nearly one in 10 Americans (9%) is taking extra precautions (e.g., leaving earlier, packing more) when flying this year.
- Americans are Ready to Reunite More than Ever After Missing Last Year’s Gathering
- More than three in five Americans (62%) had to scale down their 2020 Thanksgiving celebrations in some form due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The number one thing celebrators missed the most about Thanksgiving last year was spending time with family and friends (44%).
- One in four Americans who typically celebrate Thanksgiving (26%) did not physically gather with family/friends they typically see for Thanksgiving in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- We Really Missed Cooking and Homemade Pie, Especially Pecan Pie
- Roughly one in three Americans who celebrate Thanksgiving (36%) admit they’re more likely to cook for Thanksgiving this year than they were last year.
- The number one most missed Thanksgiving dish was homemade pie (13%), followed by turkey (12%) and stuffing/dressing (9%).
- Two in five Americans believe pecan pie is a staple of Thanksgiving (40%).
‘Pecanceled’ Flights Set Right Sweepstakes
U.S. travelers who miss their celebration due to a ‘pecanceled’ flight may enter to win the ‘Pecanceled’ Flights Set Right Sweepstakes. One ‘Pie in the Sky’ grand-prize winner will receive: roundtrip, First Class air travel for the next five years to their Thanksgiving destination (within the continental U.S.), a travel accessory package, a Thanksgiving do-over meal delivered to their door, and a year’s worth of American Pecans.
To enter, visit PecanceledFlights.com and submit your ‘pecanceled’ flight story. The sweepstakes runs nationwide November 22-30, 2021. One grand prize winner will be selected and contacted in December. Terms & Conditions: https://americanpecan.com/pfsrsweeps/
Farmer’s Fridge Partnership
In partnership with Farmer’s Fridge, American Pecans is giving away free, limited-edition pecan pie snack bites in eight major airports from coast-to-coast. Even if you don’t win the grand prize, anyone whose flight gets delayed or ‘pecanceled’ is eligible to receive these pecan treats, which are a tasty snack to help fuel weary passengers through the Thanksgiving travel season.
Starting Monday, November 22, simply DM @americanpecan on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter with your canceled/delayed flight information and they’ll send you a code to get a sweet little taste of home from a Farmer’s Fridge vending machine right there at the airport (for a limited time while supplies last).
For more information on pecans, pecan-inspired holiday recipes, or details on the Pecanceled Flights Set Right campaign, visit PecanceledFlights.com or follow American Pecans on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Terms & Conditions: https://americanpecan.com/pfsrsweeps/
About the American Pecan Council
The American Pecan Council (APC) is a group of passionate pecan growers and shellers whose life work is dedicated to growing, harvesting and processing America’s native nut. Founded in 2016 through a Federal Marketing Order, the APC’s mission is to promote the many benefits of the American Pecan and help tell the story of this truly unique nut. With oversight by the USDA, APC aims to build consumer demand, develop markets and establish industry standards. APC is based in Fort Worth, Texas, and funded by pecan handlers in 15 pecan-producing states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas. To learn more visit www.AmericanPecan.com.
About Farmer’s Fridge
Farmer’s Fridge makes it simple for everyone to eat well. The company operates hundreds of automated smart Fridges across airports, hospitals, office buildings and universities, offers a direct-to-consumer delivery program spanning 42 states, and partners with leading retailers including Target, Jewel-Osco and GoPuff. Since 2013, the company has sold more than 5 million meals. Learn more at farmersfridge.com.
1All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2,439 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between November 3-5, 2021. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all U.S. adults (aged 18+).
–American Pecan Council