LOUISBURG, N.C. — Are you interested in farming and want to take your first steps? Did you just buy a few acres and want to start growing something? Do you want to sell at a local farmers’ market? Are you within your first couple years of farming and need some help?
N.C. Cooperative Extension, Franklin County Center, will be offering its new Small Farm Boot Camp program, designed for new and beginning farmers, market gardeners, and homesteaders, beginning in February through March 2023. The goals of this program are to assist the small farmers to increase their knowledge and skills in local food production and to collaborate and build fellowship with other new farmers in the area.
Each session will begin at 4 p.m. The cost for the five-part series is $100 per participant. Dinner will be served during each evening session.
- Thursday, February 2, 2023, at the Franklin County Plaza Meeting room, 279 S. Bickett Blvd., Louisburg
- “Getting Started with Local Food Production” Martha Mobley, Ag Agent, Local Food, Ag Agent
- “Soil Health” William Landis, NC A&T Small Farm Agent, Charles Mitchell, CED/Field Crops
Trade Show: Visit with area Local Food possible marketing outlets, Farmers Markets and other sources.
- Thursday, February 9, 2023, at the Franklin County Plaza Meeting Room, 279 S. Bickett Blvd., Louisburg
- “Vegetable Production” Colby Griffin, Ag Agent, Horticulture & Charles Mitchell
- “Season Extension” Martha Mobley
- Thursday, February 16, 2023, at the Ag Center Annex, 103 S. Bickett Blvd., Louisburg
- “Tree Fruit Production” William Landis
- “Small Fruit Production” Colby Griffin
- Thursday, February 23, 2023, at the Ag Center Annex, 103 S. Bickett Blvd., Louisburg
- “Post-harvest Handling & Food Safety” Martha Mobley & Colby Griffin
- “Putting a Plan of Work Together” Martha Mobley & William Landis
- “Developing a Business Plan & NC Farm School” Derek Washburn, NC Farm School, NCSU
- Thursday, March 2, 2023, at the Ag Center Annex,103 S. Bickett Blvd., Louisburg
- Lana Szczepanski, Nectar Farm, Bunn and CPA
Register for the 5-part series at the following link: https://go.ncsu.edu/_2023_small_farm_bootcamp_series
The series will include a field day and farm tour with dates to be determined.
FIELD DAY: TBAMarch or April; visit construction of new High Tunnel greenhouse and Caterpillar Tunnel near Louisburg
FARM TOUR: TBA May; visit several small farms in the area and see a variety of enterprises.
For more information about the program, contact 919-496-3344, or Martha Mobley, email@example.com.