ORANGE CITY, Iowa — Topics for the 2019 Dairy Beef Short Course will focus on how dairy beef bull calves should be viewed as more than a by-product of the industry. As dairy and beef producers continue to experience economic struggles, increasing the value of bull calves can add value for dairymen, feeders and processors. The short course is scheduled for Tuesday, March 26 in rooms 1 and 2 at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It is in conjunction with the Central Plains Dairy Expo.
While parking and entry to the dairy Expo is free, there is a $20 registration fee to attend the Dairy Beef Short Course. The fee includes educational materials, refreshments and lunch. The deadline for registrations are March 20. Registrations can be made on-line at: https://tinyurl.com/dairybeefshortcourse
The program agenda includes:
· “Realizing Full Value in Holstein Steers”, Dr. Daniel Schaefer, University of Wisconsin-Madison
· “Considerations for Choosing Beef Genetics To Use In Dairy Herds”, Warren Rusche, SDSU
· “Dairy Cattle Impact on Beef Supply and Marketing Opportunities”, Dr. Brenda Boetel, University of Wisconsin
· “Enhancing the Value of Your Dairy Beef Bull Calf to Meet Health Concerns”, Russ Daly, DVM, SDSU
In addition, a special feature will be a roundtable discussion “Building a Carcass for the Future”. The panel includes:
· Jerry Wulf, Wulf Cattle, Morris MN
· Kent Pruismann, Rock River Feeders, Sioux Center, IA
· Erik Loe, Nutritional Consultant for Midwest PMS, Sioux Center, IA
· Duane Broek, Select Sires Representative, Watertown, SD
The program will begin promptly at 10 am and will conclude at 3:15 pm.
The short course in hosted by the I-29 Moo University consortium, a collaboration of the Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota Extension dairy specialists. For more information, contact your state Extension Specialist. In Northwest Iowa, contact Fred M. Hall at 712.737.4230 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org; in South Dakota, contact Tracey Erickson at 605.882.5140 or email at Tracey.Erickson@sdstate.edu or Warren Rusche at 605.688.5452 or email at Warren.Rusche@sdstate.edu.
— Iowa State University Extension
For more news from Iowa, click here.